Wednesday, March 4, 2009

traveling with toys

It is a little more responsibility than I want to travel with toys.

Most of Rand's toys were packed into the trunk or into a tote in the front seat. I only deemed a handful of toys worthy (worth it) to actually take into the hotel room with us- the small ones. Believe me, I was already hauling enough in and out: I didn't need much more.

The second morning of our trip, the morning after our first hotel stay, I was frantic. Aunt Julie sent Rand two plush hearts for Valentine's Day; and he loves them. He particularly loves them together! We took one with us to the breakfast bar; and thought we had brought it back. But as I was packing, there was only one. I saw only one. Where was the other one?

"Rand, do you know where your yellow heart is? Go find your yellow heart?"

Rand looks at me as if to say, "You go find that yellow heart, Mommy. I got beds to jump on. I don't know where it is!"

I rummage through the overnight bag.
I search through all the bedding.
I look in the garbage bins.
I peek into the bathtub (you never know).

I check the car.
I poke my head out the door and look down the walkway.
We walk to the front desk: "I am looking for a yellow plush heart. Have you seen one around?"
I accost two cleaners: "Where is that yellow heart? I know you have it! Let me check your trash bags."

I double check with the front desk clerk as I am checking out: "Are you sure you haven't seen it? Can I call later in case it turns up?"

Rand seems obliviously to the loss. I am trying to figure out a way to explain that there will only be one heart to play with from now on. I know that in the moment that he wants it, there will be a trantrum.

I try to figure out how to break the news to Aunt Julie: "We lost one of your hearts."

I drive.
That's all I can do.
Forward and on: we will deal with the pain and loss when he is focused.

I check into another Days Inn in N. Little Rock.
I unpack a sleepy Rand onto the bed; and continue to unpack the car.
I unzip the overnight bag.
I haul out bath toys.

What is that: smushed under those undies?
A plush yellow heart.
I'm saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment