Thursday, April 9, 2009

little things noticed-

It is funny what you notice about a different place. Here are some fun observations:

1. Donuts: People in this area must LOVE donuts. There are donut shops around every corner. There is Dunkin' Donuts, Krispie Kreme, Daylight Donuts, something about Sunny Bakery Donuts, and then random shops here, there and everywhere. Fried pieces of dough coated in sugar- I am definitely in the right place.

2. Little Caesar's Pizza: Also around every corner. This pizza shop is EVERYWHERE here. And they are BIG sponsors on radio stations- Little Caesar's is at every event with hot pizza ready to devour at your whim. Now, let's get something straight- I am a local pizza joint kind of girl. I like finding that "hole in the wall" that makes it right; and yes, I will pay for it. But, it isn't a bad option to walk in and walk right out having paid only $5.99 for a large pizza (cheese, sausage, or pepperoni). I think there is only 1 Little Caesar's in Burlington. I may be wrong. And I can't remember eating it very often in the last 10 years of my life. That will change.

3. Sky: there is SO much of it here. They say the sky is the same everywhere- I beg to differ.

4. Horizon: It is amazingly flat here. I can see downtown OKC from my neighborhood, and it is a good 20 min. drive away.

5. Oil things (I don't know the name): The oil pumpy things are everywhere. In the middle of nowhere in a big field OR fenced off because it is in the middle of a mall parking lot.

6. Radius: 25 min in any direction from "my" house takes me to an innumerable amount of destinations. I know that sounds silly- just about anywhere you are that would be true. But I can't begin to list the amount of medical offices, college/universities, museums, cows, businesses, kids activities, playgrounds, donut shops, fields, malls, etc... So many fun things to do- just down the street.

7. Neighborhood Wal-Marts: I didn't know that these types of Wal-Marts existed. I'm familiar with regular Wal-Marts and Super Wal-Marts; but "Your Neighborhood Wal-Mart" is just a drug store/grocery/photo shop. They are also everywhere around here.

8. Asian influence: I didn't see this one coming. I can eat Thai, Korean, Japanese, and Chinese (although the last 2 aren't so unfamiliar) and other Asian style foods every meal of the day at different restaurant for a long time. They are everywhere. And not only that- I can also go shopping to any sort of Asian grocery stores and/or bakeries. The diversity is amazing. And yes, Rand and I have already started testing the waters: his chicken tenders were decorated with a Chinese Dragon and my Pad Thai was spicier than I expected.

Ok- that's all for now. Not that there aren't other things. But I will get to them later.

2 comments:

  1. nice to hear from you again! and yes, only one little ceasars in b-ton, but it is very tasty and easy and cheap! love you, katie black

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post!! It gives me some idea of what it's like there (since I've never done any real traveling). Interesting observations... keep them coming!;)
    Love ya~Steph

    ReplyDelete