Sunday, May 2, 2010

Camping



I went camping this weekend. I haven't been camping for a very long time, so it was definitely a serious refresher course on what and how- and too, on why.

The short road trip to North Carolina's Uwharrie National Park ("Land of Many Uses") was lovely and fairly easy. The gravel road drive through to the campsite was (unsurprisingly) bumpy and a little confusing- it was dark, afterall. Leaving my car in a general purpose parking lot, because it wouldn't make it to the campsite...well, now, that just made me giggle- until I took the trip to get to the site. And then, I was holding on for dear life.

And now, I can laugh. Holding on for dear life....HA! I had no idea what I was in for the next day- with the Jeeps rock crawling the trails.

And I packed "rough" clothes. I had seen the mud that was available for clothing destruction in previous pictures and videos- but I don't think I really, really thought through the mud situation. Several mud showers in one day- that's a lot. My white doo-rag will never forgive me.

And then there's the community time around the campfire and the generous spirit of all involved. Nothing like it. Sharing time and food with people around a warm, bright fire- talking and laughing in the outdoors.

I am definitely ready for the next camping trip and hope to add it to my list common events in my life, because each time, each campfire will be uncommon.

No comments:

Post a Comment